…and here we have a pretty little number…
Wearing various shades of Ethinoic Acid, Sulphuric Acid and Distilled Malt Vinegar, our copper today positively radiates beauty from every angle. There is definitely something to be said about how this little romance with copper is progressing.
In trying to understand some of the chemistry behind the patina on my copper, I visited the biology lab. Donned with white coat, gloves and protective eyewear I was almost as radiant as the resulting effects on the experimental copper offcuts.
A mere 24hrs later and we have a result.
My copper has already developed some patina having been exposed to the elements for many years and the question I was asking myself was whether to leave it with its natural patina or add more colour and texture using artificial means. The malt vinegar had a stronger reaction on the copper than the other acids, producing an intense shade of turquoise. Ultimately I decided against any interference even though the potential colour spectrum could have been spectacular. Another time maybe.
So, now I have a timeline for the River Connections public art project as well as a more specific timeline from Bespoke Atelier for the Childrens Water Feature. I had to do sums! Who would have thought I’d have to do sums. I didn’t much like it.
It went like this:
- Figure out the size of my largest piece of copper.
- Analyse the timelines.
- Turn the periods of time taken for the River Connections project and the Children’s Water Feature into a measurement.
- Use this measurement to give me sizes for the length of each piece and height at both ends, as well as the number of pieces needed overall.
With 7 pieces cut, they will now be prepared: polished and shaped, and decisions will be made about how to display the sculpture with a focus on height and spread. The longest piece is almost 2 metres so balance and stability is an important consideration in this process.
I really do love copper.